Wednesday 10 August 2016

Tasty Too!

Last night I was leading an English Improvement training with five or six adult learners (of very various degrees of English proficiency) and then wanted to go along to a memorial service for a dear friend's niece.  I can't write much about that here as this is a fun post, and memorial services, however uplifting or meaningful, are just not fun.

The point, however, is that I knew I wouldn't get home for dinner at a reasonable hour, so I ducked into the small local grocer to see what I could find for a stop-gap.  I found this:


It's tasty!

Sadly, it's also probably poisonous in myriad ways, not just because it was quite peppery, really.  But, while the 12-point type claims, "Popcorn's our passion.  We searched the world until we found the very best.  Then we heated it by air to POP and smothered it lovingly with our scrumptious seasoning"; the fine print says: "INGREDIENTS Popcorn (60%), Vegetable oil (palm fruit with antioxidant: TBHQ), Seasoning [Maltodextrin, Salt, Milk solids (whey powder), Sugar, Spices (pepper, paprika), Acidity regulators (E330, E260), Vegetable powder (garlic), Hydrolysed vegetable protein (soya), Flavourants, Monosodium glutamate (E621), Anticaking agent (E551), Flavour enhancers (E631, E627), Spice extracts]."

Who uses sixty percent corn and forty percent palm oil and MSG to pop popcorn?  My home recipe is, like, 85/15.  However, it's the E260 that'll really get you.  Unless the soya is protecting me!  Yeah, I think the soya is probably protecting me!!

Anyway, it was totally tasty, and ten bucks versus $15 for Creamy Cheddar flavour Simba Chips, which are probably even worse on the health-food scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment