Monday 16 May 2016

Introducing Efraim

Efraim Akweenda is one of the first Namibians I met.  He works for my Peace Corps boss, Linda, at Peace Corps Namibia HQ in Windhoek, and he is unfailingly helpful and responsive.  He is one of the first people any PCT or PCV phones when IT or telco problems erupt -- he solves them all.  Last December, he sent a long, eloquent e-mail to all his Community Economic Development volunteers to share his respect and affection for us all, and it was so kind I could feel my insides warm as I read it.  Here's what he told me about himself a couple of weeks ago:

May 2016; PST Group 43

What’s your name?  Efraim Akweenda     How old are you?  31      Where did you grow up?  The northern town of Ondangwa – actually a small village called Ouiipa established by Finnish missionaries back in the years.     Where do you live now?  Khomesdal in Windhoek     Where else have you lived?  At the coast in Walvis Bay for a year and in Ongwadiva for three years in college.  Who lives with you?  No one – I’m a full-time bachelor; I like my personal space and my privacy and my freedom and my recklessness and carelessness!  Who’s in your family?  A brother and sister; I’m the last born.  Another brother and sister passed away.  So my mother, a cousin, my brother, niece and nephew – my sister married out and is no longer staying there [at home].

What do you do for work?  I’m a PTA – program and training assistant – for Peace Corps Namibia.     What’s an exciting or important thing you’ve done?  I’ve done so many things – I’ve been presented an Information Communications Technology award for helping staff at my college.  Plus I was awarded overall best soccer player in college.  The experience of my life was flying from Namibia to West Africa last July to attend a conference abroad.  Being part of Peace Corps Namibia is exciting.  It stands out from the crowd; the experience is everlasting.

June 2015; PST Group 41

What language do you speak most?  Oshindongwa and Oshikonyama – they’re only slightly different.     What other languages do you speak?  English, Afrikaans, some survival Spanish and basic Portuguese [Efraim comes from the North, on the Angolan border; Portuguese is one of the principal languages of Angola. -ed]

How do you spend your free time?  Most in activities involving soccer – playing, watching, talking about it.  I also like media – music and movies.     How would you like to spend your free time if you had unlimited time and money?  Go out for adventures game watching and game driving.  I’d like to visit Serengeti National Park in Tanzania and Maasai Mara in Kenya.

What’s something that’s ‘typically Namibian’ about you?  My generosity.     And something that’s ‘un-Namibian’?  There’s a lot.  I like things to be on time now, the American way.






Thanks, Efraim!

No comments:

Post a Comment