Tuesday 28 February 2017

SMS - Send Me Silliness

Note to self: come up with a better title.

I do a lot of SMS'ing, or texting, in Namibia.  It's the cheapest way to communicate privately, and while telco is generally a lot less expensive here than in the USA, my income is dramatically cheaper.  So.  As is true anywhere, sometimes these abbreviated messages can be, intentionally or not, pretty amusing.  So I've collected a few to share.

This is the one that set me off:  "Ant cheese is still cheese, in my book."


And the next day, trying to connect with a friend, I learned, "I'm at home now and will have to foot ['foot' = 'walk' in Namlish] at the garden in 4min."  All right!  But a minute after that, I got, "I mean 45 mins."

"I'm a good creep."

From a colleague zooming off to dinner with the only key to our three-person hotel room:  "I didn't know u were rooming with us until M shouted at u from the taxi lol I thought it was just the two of us."

"The gods of the internet must be displeased.  Sacrifice something."  Follow-up:  "I have heard municipality workers who don't get back to you work best."  (A. was pretty ticked with a municipality worker at the time.)"

I write something's going well; C. writes that she's green with envy; I reply that it looks good on her; she responds, "Please, I look good in any color.  LOL."

"Please accept my deepest condolences for your head cold."

"Thank you miss, I love you" from a student I don't actually know that well.  Sometimes 'love' = like, appreciate, or miss in Namlish.

"Omigod stopppp its contagious!!!!  Fuckez nous! :(  waaaah! Why oh universe why?!"  I think this was in reply to a text saying I'd had a sudden, inexplicable craving for a Pop-Tart.

"ps happy invisible Wednesday"

"Ha yeah I bet 'a rift in the space-time continuum' isn't even a good enough reason for failing to text the OOS."  The out-of-site phone is the number we PCVs have to notify whenever we're away from our home sites overnight.

"... I keep telling myself I don't smell bad, just not as pleasant as I usually do."

"... In other news, Clementine just brought a bat inside to eat in front of me.  The crunching is awful."  I'd explain that one, but I think it works really well on its own.

"Was cleaning aphids off the spinach.  Let me know a good time to call."

"No.  There is no going back now.  You're eating rice and lentils and you're going to love it or at least pretend to love it."

"oh no the Trump won the election."  I'd share some other texts from that day, but I don't want this to get all political.  This one is from a Namibian friend.

"Oh my.  Who is basting you?"

"Ugh these youngster partiers."  From, like, a 28-year old.

"Smashed between 2 dudes in a bright yellow bakkie.  Riding in style.  Haha!  See you soon"

"Thanks me toooo feeling a lot better but just all weird"

"Jacket weather!?  Now that's exciting.  It's been getting close to that here in the evenings.  We've been getting lots of rain too.  The only problem is there seem to be snakes everywhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment