Friday 29 January 2016

Stretch

My yoga practice is not the most advanced.  I do a sun salute most mornings, and have done for decades.  In the 1990s and early 00s I took yoga classes once or twice a week when I could find them for cheap (thank you, HMO!), but when I moved to DC I never got myself yoga-organized.  However, a lot of my fellow PCVs are fairly advanced practitioners, and they have kindly shared videos and podcasts, so I can do a structured routine a few evenings a week.  I really love it, though stilling my 'monkey mind' feels like it will just never happen.  Sometimes I manage for a breath or two or even three (by three breaths I get so excited the monkeys just come stampeding back), so I shall remain modestly hopeful.

One of my PCV colleagues wrote about his varied life and how he came to, and uses, a yoga practice on his blog.  I highly recommend this piece.  Even if you don't care about yoga, the writing is worth reading for its clarity and beauty, and Andy has an interesting background.

No comments:

Post a Comment