Tuesday 14 July 2015

If this is 2015...

...then I’m probably not in Dublin.  That was a bit more than 20 years ago, when I hopped the Atlantic to study poetry.  And yet, I keep getting these flashes of déjà vu.

First and biggest is the slightly-off-kilter feeling of being in a place that isn’t that different than the place I’m used to being, but is different enough to be noticeable.  It’s like walking up stairs that aren’t exactly the same height.  It’s not difficult, but you do have to pay a bit more attention.

I have amused myself tremendously with the observation that the only difference between Namibia and the US that has really freaked me out so far is that Wilhelmina kept bananas in the refrigerator.  You don’t keep bananas in the refrigerator!  You can’t keep bananas in the refrigerator!  And maybe no one else in Namibia does – one of my PST colleagues said her host family was astonished that she ate vegetables raw, as in a green salad with tomatoes and green peppers and carrots.  That family always cooked their vegetables, and she thought maybe all Namibians did the same.  The rest of us assured her that we got raw vegetables in our salads – drenched in mayonnaise, sure, but raw.

Curiously, one of the ways living here is like living in Ireland is that people generally don’t keep eggs in the refrigerator.  In Ireland the butter was usually on the counter, too, but it’s too hot for that here.

It’s too hot during the day, but in Okahandja in July, nights get chilly, and there’s no heating indoors.  Ireland had indoor heating but to a much lesser extent than in the US.  So in both countries, I spend at least some of my indoor time bundled up in multiple layers, shivering lightly for warmth as I study.  That’s another one:  constant studying.  And in the matter of heat, there’s also the hot water.  That was the first point of similarity that really struck me.  In Dublin, if I wanted a shower, I would switch on the hot water heater about 30 minutes ahead of showering time.  Same thing at Wilhelmina’s.  If I just want to wash my face, I would/do boil water in the electric kettle and pour it into the wash basin.  Tiptoeing down the hall after Wilhelmina had gone to bed, chilly, over-read and carrying the kettle to the bathroom, I sometimes thought I was 27 again.

Renée, my landlady/housemate/friend in Dublin, had an automatic clothes washer.  Wilhelmina does, too, but knowing that I almost certainly wouldn’t have one at my permanent site (and I do not), and concerned by the cost of all the water the machine uses, she didn’t offer it to me.  So I washed my clothes in her laundry sink, and then hung them on the line.
Wash on the right, rinse on the left.  The slanted sides are ridged for scrubbing.


Giant difference between Namibia and Ireland: though I line-dried/line-dry my clothes both places, in Namibia they dry fast and reliably, hung out in the heat and sunshine.  In Ireland, good laundry days weren’t hot and sunny – there were no hot and sunny days – but windy.  With enough wind, even hanging out in the light drizzle that descended almost every day, clothes would get at least close to dry after ten or twelve hours.  In three months I’ve been here, I’ve felt a few drops of rain twice in Windhoek (the capital) and once in Swakopmund, which is on the ocean and gets quite misty.

In Dublin the sky would be lower and less blue; the greenery less abundant and flowerier.

Ireland and Namibia are both left-hand drive countries, so you have to look right, then left, before crossing the road.  In Namibia, drivers seem to have the right-of-way at all times.  I don’t know whether it’s legally theirs, but I know they take it and they’re bigger than I am.  In Ireland, motorcyclists would sometimes drive up onto the sidewalk and almost brush against pedestrians, parking inches from an astounded American's kneecaps.

I’m kind of broke-ish in both countries, although in Namibia I at least have some financial cushion in the form of real estate on the other side of the Atlantic (and of the equator).  Nonetheless, I took myself out for afternoon tea one day in Ireland, and the Shelburne Hotel on St. Stephen’s Green fed me so much cream – on the scones, on the cakes, on the cocoa I had instead of tea, and cream cheese on the sandwiches – that I felt a midge queasy for hours afterward.  Apple pie came with whipped cream, as did most other desserts.  Renée kept cream for her coffee.  I haven’t seen whipped cream for three months here in Namibia (there’s some ghastly Cool Whip-like substance in some bakery cakes that tastes acidic and chemical; one thinks of battery acid though one has never tasted battery acid).

I’m writing poetry again, and eating from dishes on which the soap suds have been allowed to dry, unmolested by rinse water.  However, I haven’t had a sip of whiskey nor been near a pub after sundown.  Perhaps I should see what I can do about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment